At Pirehill we strive to develop confident, self assured, positive young people who love to learn, who want to contribute and need to achieve. The governors of the school work together with the headteacher and dedicated team of staff to deliver this vision for the whole school community.
The core role of the governing body defined in the governors handbook is to :-
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Hold the head teacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils; and
- Oversee the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
We continually review how our work and how best to carry out our role efficiently. We meet as a whole governing body twice a term and have an annual plan of what we do at each meeting. The headteacher provides a report to governors for the second meeting of every term which gives an update on the many activities during the term and review of the school improvement plan and progress. It would not be possible to do everything within the meetings so we also have link governors with specific areas of review who meet with staff in school to look at particular elements in more detail and report back to the full governing body through link governor reports.
Who are the governors?
The governing body is made up of a specified number of different types of governors to represent the community. They are parents, staff and representatives from the community that have been coopted onto the governing body. Governors serve for a specified number of years and we are always looking for new and enthusiastic people who care about the education of our children to join the governing body.
- Susan Crookshank : Chair of governors. A parent governor for 6 years before transferring to become a co-opted. Susan has a background in computing and runs her own business. Pupil premium is extra funding from the government for free school meals aimed at reducing the gap in educational performance, Susan is the link governor reviewing spending plans and the impact the money has. Susan is also our finance link governor meeting with the office manager termly to review finances and agree a report back to governors for decision making.
- Zoheb Shariff : Vice Chair of governors. Zoheb was a parent governor for 4 years and has transferred to being a coopted governor. Zoheb provided invaluable support with our building works for new classrooms and office space and takes the lead on the health and safety reviews. Zoheb has also just taken up the PE link governor role which includes monitoring how the government sports premium money is spent to increase sports participation.
- Karen Williamson Smith : Headteacher
- Kate Proffitt : As the Deputy Headteacher Kate is a co-opted member of the governing body.
- Jill Hood : Jill is a Local Town and County Councillor and has joined the governing body to help us improve links with the local community. She has link governor responsibility for SMSC, Pupil Voice and More and Most Able.
- Alice Bozward : Alice is a coopted governor with a background in early years, health and social care and is our link governor for safeguarding and SEN.
- Simon Humphreys : Simon is a teacher at Pirehill and is the lead teacher for PE and Healthy Lifestyles.
- Louise Kennedy: Louise is a parent governor and qualified barrister specialising in family law representing local authorities, parents and children.
- Matthew Beardmore: Matthew is a parent governor who works within the NHS in planning and performance management. Matthew will use his experience to work closely with staff, governors and parents to help achieve the best possible standards of education for the children.
- Stephen Beamond: Stephen is a parent governor with experience in accounting and planning. Stephen is a member of the AAT and works as a business analyst for a software development company. Previously Stephen has worked in the education sector and for a schools' library service.
Governor Terms of Office
|Name||Type||Term||Register of Interests||Full Governing Body Attendance 2020-2021|
|Mrs K Williamson-Smith||Headteacher||01/09/2015|| ||6/6|
|Mrs S Crookshank||Co-opted||01/09/2018 to 31/08/2022||Governor at Alleynes Academy||6/6|
|Mr Z Shariff||Co-opted||09/10/2019 to 08/10/2023|| ||6/6|
|Mrs K Profitt||Co-opted||17/03/2019 to 16/03/2023||Deputy at Pirehill||6/6|
|Rev A Hudson||Co-opted||16/05/2019 to 15/05/2023|| ||4/5|
|Ms A Bozward||Co-opted||16/05/2019 to 15/05/2023|| ||5/6|
|Mrs J Hood||LA||20/12/2018 to 19/12/2022|| ||3/6|
|Mr M Beardmore||Parent||02/07/2020 to 01/07/2023|| ||5/6|
|Mrs L Kennedy||Parent||02/07/2020 to 01/07/2023|| ||5/6|
|Mrs S Humphreys||Parent||29/11/2018 to 28/11/2021|| ||5/6|
|Miss F Howells||Staff|
26/11/2020 to 31/08/2021
|Mr S Humphreys||Staff||01/09/2021 to 31/08/2025|| ||1/1|
|Mr S Beamond||Parent||27/01/2022 to 26/01/2025|| || |